Last year, when we attended
Terrificon at the Mohegan Sun here in Connecticut, we scored a copy of the wonderfully
fun giveaway comicbook, Captain
Terrificon Presents: The Scarry Squad. The comic, written by Paul
Kupperberg, with art by Pat & Tim Kennedy, inks by Barbara Kaalberg, and
lettering and color by Mortt Todd. It contained a back-up story by Paul with
pencils by Rich Maurizio, inks and colors by Ken Weaton, and colors by Robert
Snyser, as well as a second story by showrunner Mitch Hallock, and illustrated
by George Deep, tells the origin story of Captain Terrificon.
Well, this year (2026) Mitch did
it again, and produced and distributed yet another (albeit smaller) comicbook.
Smaller, not so much in size, but in page count. This comic actually functions
the dual role of presenting us with the origin of Captain Terrificon, as well
as the convention’s program. It is a flip-book, with the program presented as
the “up” side when opened one way, and the comic story as the “up” side when the
book is flipped over and opened the other way.
The program side gives us a
message from Mitch, the panel schedule, an ad for Terrificon merch, an ad for
Boom Tube Comics, a list of vendors and guest artists (along with their
location at the show), as well as a floor layout for the convention. The flip
(comicbook) side gives us a one-page recap of what occurred last issue with
Cap. Terrificon, as well as a five-page story of the good Captain’s origin.
Both the recap and the comic are written by Mitch and George Deep and
illustrated by George.
Needless to say, the show itself
was all kinds of a major blast as not only is it Connecticut’s premier
comicbook show, the show is most especially a comic-centric show featuring
comicbooks and comicbook creators front and center. To be sure there are
numerous celebrity guests, but many, if not all, of them are—if not comicbook related,
at the very least comicbook adjacent in their celebrity. This year, among the
comicbook celebs were Chris Claremont, Mike Gold, Rick Parker, Mike DeCarlo,
Richard & Wendy Pini, Klaus Janson, Denys Cowan, (all of whom I got to chat
briefly with), and others.
Oh yeah, I also met Captain Terrificon himself.
I was also there as an invited
guest (first time, thanks Mitch), and not only was I able to catch up with
several of my fellow creator friends, but I met a fan who had a pristine copy
of Agent Unknown #1, the very first comic I created and was available from Renegade
Press. Also, I did rather well at the show (my first three-day event where I
was exhibiting). I was aided and abated by my nephew Tony-o, so, a totally
amazing experience.
All-in-all, the Captain Terrificon
comic giveaway is both informative and entertaining, as well as a pretty nifty souvenir
of the show itself. Can hardly wait ‘til next year to read more about Captain
Terrificon.
Here was my table at the show!
No comments:
Post a Comment