Sunday, January 10, 2010

Support the Cause

Everyone has their pet cause, even me. In comics, my cause is the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund (CBLDF) In case you don’t know, the CBLDF is the organization that protects us as comicbook readers, retailers,and professionals. They defend our right to buy, read, and sell comics.

According to its website,
The Comic Book Legal Defense Fund was officially incorporated as a non-profit charitable organization in January of 1990 from the money left over from donations raised to defend Friendly Frank's arrest for selling "obscene comics" in Lansing, IL in 1986. Since then, the CBLDF has helped over a dozen comic book retailers and professionals fend off the censors, some successfully, some not.


I’ve written about the CBLDF a couple of times for the comics press, and always support their causes. I bring this up now because I just purchased Liberty Comics #2 (Image), and read it this past weekend. Interestingly enough, when I saw it I momentarily confused it with The Hero Initiative’s benefit book (IDW), which I picked up a few months back (otherwise I would have purchased both Liberty issues).

Hero is another worthy comicbook cause, and yes, I also support them whenever I am able. Still and all, right now I’m talking about the CBLDF. I want to strongly urge everyone to join the this very worthy cause to ensure that the forces of censorship don’t encroach any further into our beloved playground.

To the best of my knowledge, there haven’t been any major censorship suits recently, but I could be wrong on this. I used to be a member of the CBLDF, but seemed to have let my membership lapse, so the next thing I’m going to do is renew ($25.00 a year). You get a cool membership card, and a quarterly newsletter. Plus, the cause is, you know, well worth it.

Oh yeah, in case I forgot to mention it, Liberty Comics #2 is an outstanding anthology comic, featuring work by some very cool and very talented creators, including JRJR, Mike Alkred, Jimmy Palmiotti, Dave Gibbons,and many others.

* * * * * * UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! * * * * * *


Just thought that you all should know, that I just joined both the CBLDF and the Hero Initiative. I strongly urge that all my funnybook friends do the same.

No comments:

My days under the Malibu Sun!

Way back in the early '90s I was writing for, well, virtually every comicbook magazine under the sun. As if that wasn't enough, I wa...