Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Spider is Coming! The Spider is Coming!

I just wanted to remind everyone that Spidey 3 is coming soon (well, in three months), but soon enough. Anyway, today is Spider-Man Day in the New York Post day, and in today’s little episode, we are reintroduced to Spidey’s arch nemesis, Dr. Octopus. That’s right boys and girls, today we were treated to the first half of Amazing Spider-Man #11, wherein Peter Travels to Philadelphia, PA to track down the missing Betty Brant (secretary to grouchy old J. Jonah Jameson, publisher of The Daily Bugle.


Needless to say, this brought up an interesting point that I had never really considered until I began to reread these early Spidey episodes. According to official Marvel Cannon, Spidey began his career around the age of 15, which is about how old he is during most of these stories. Now, if Betty was working as a secretary for JJJ, then she was old enough to be employed (at lease 16), but I'm thinking that she was probably older than just 16 (why would the publisher of a great metropolitan newspaper have a 16-year-old as his secretary?) So I'm guessing that she was at least 18. Which kind of makes the relationship between these two somewhat creepy, if you get what I mean. (Plus, in this story Pete goes to Philly from NY by himself, what the hell was Aunt May thinking?)


Ah well, who knows, I guess that under the scrutiny of the modern era, the internal logic of these stories doesn’t hold up so well. Still, this doesn’t detract from the overall enjoyment of them in the slightest. So sit back, put your feet up, and enjoy the story of the Spider and the Octopus. I know that I did.

No comments:

My days under the Malibu Sun!

Way back in the early '90s I was writing for, well, virtually every comicbook magazine under the sun. As if that wasn't enough, I wa...