Thursday, October 14, 2010

Pronto Comics

One of the cool things about attending comicbook conventions (especially big ones like NYCC), is that you get to meet up with old friends, make new ones, and see what other indie creators are doing. That is precisely what happened to me this past weekend, and, well, it will probably be something I'll be talking about for the rest of the month here.

One of the surprises of the show was running across the folks from Pronto Comics. I had actually met up with them some time back (earlier this year), and had considered working with them. Unfortunately, things came up, and I never got back to them, now I'm a bit upset over it, as I was gifted with a copy of their very entertaining anthology, Kicked.

The comic is a rather sardonic look at a self-centered superhero (Captain Awesome), and his revolving cadre of sidekicks. It seems that Awesome has a history of treating them like crap, and they kidnap his newest sidekick to stage an intervention to prevent him from joining up with this ass-clown hero.

The anthology itself is story,after story of various sidekicks relating their individual stories about how badly Awesome treated them over the years. The stories and art range from, well amateur, to, quite good, giving the comic a very eclectic feel, that makes it very entertaining, and well worth picking up and reading.

I highly recommend checking out Pronto’s site, and (if you are reasonably talented), trying to hook up with this interesting group of creators, as they are always on the prowl for new talent,a nd if you are an indie creator  with little or no creative outlet, then you just might benefit from hanging with these guys.



No comments:

My days under the Malibu Sun!

Way back in the early '90s I was writing for, well, virtually every comicbook magazine under the sun. As if that wasn't enough, I wa...