Friday, December 18, 2009

Funnybooks should be fun.

That’s right, you heard me, I believe that funnybooks should be fun. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t think that they should be humorous, but fun. Now, just as I can have fun watching a serious or a scary film, I can have fun reading a well-written, entertaining, serious funnybook. Hence, the “fun.”

Unfortunately, many of the comics that I seem to be reading these days are something less than fun. (As to why I’m reading comics that aren’t fun is the subject of an entirely different post, but let’s not drift off point).

Anyway, Like I’ve been saying, it seems that these days I’ve been enjoying the depiction of Spider-Man in virtually every book in which he appears except for Amazing Spider-Man which can't seem to quite nail down his personality for some bizarre reason. Anyway, Spidey shows up (again) in Ms. Marvel #47, and he actually has a date with Ms. Marvel. Well, technically, Peter has a date with Carol Danvers, but u know what I mean). This issue is fun, entertaining, and reminds me very much of the Spidey I was reading during the ‘80s & ‘90s. Why the writers can’t hit this rhythm in Spidey‘s own book is beyond me.

Another Spider-title I’m enjoying is New Avengers. Here again, Spidey’s personality is pretty much dead on. Right now the team is still on the run and in this issue (#59) they need to rescue Luke Cage from the clutches of H.A.M.M.E.R. I’m telling you, when Bendis wants to tell a story, he can really write the Hell out of it. Seriously, this is a good story. I’m totally loving Spidey’s run as an Avenger, it is a stature that he should have achieved a long time ago, and I’m glad that Bendis finally accorded him the honor.

Oh yeah, while I’m here I might as well mention that New Avengers Annual #3 was a ripping good yarn as well. It is nice to see Mockingbird back in action and this episode plays nicely into the on-going storyline.

In with this batch of Spidey-related comics I want to toss in Spider-Man Secret Wars. I have to say that I’m totally puzzled as to why this was considered fodder for a re-hash because, it can’t change what happened during the original Secret Wars, and it doesn’t seem to be offering us anything more than just a retelling from Spidey’ point of view. This was totally unlike the Spider-Man Clone Wars limited series, as the Clone Wars purportedly is not only by the original authors, but told the way they wanted to tell it originally.

Anyway, that’s what I have now. more later.

No comments:

Non “Funny” Funnybooks on the Rise

We’ve been reading comics since around 1961. It is — as we’ve often said — our preferred form of entertainment. In fact, the guy we’ve been ...