Thursday, December 23, 2010

Bring out yer dead!

Yet another comicbook character bites the dust! According to a CNN story we can soon expect a founding member of the Fantastic Four to die in the near future. (ho-humm) Yeah, like we haven’t heard that one before. Sure Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Bucky Barnes, The Green Goblin, Harry Osborn, The Flash, Captain America, and a myriad of other characters have “died” (including one or two of the fabled FF itself already) only to come back to life, so why are we to believe this pap has any more staying power than any of those deaths?

Well, because Marvel tells us so.
Marvel executive editor Tom Brevoort made it crystal clear: “A core character from the series, whom you've seen in the [2005 and 2007] films, will be no more,” he told CNN.
Yeah, right. If it lasts a year I’ll be totally surprised, but you are hearing it here, if not first, and least first from me, it wont last. Let me make this prediction, whoever it is that dies, will be back sometime before the next Movie or TV appearance of the FF, because we all know that Marvel allows the tail to wag the dog.

My pal, sometimes writing partner, and huge FF fan John Wilcox likes to remark that Stan Lee has been the only writer that has been able to consistently keep the team together (100+ issues, as I recall). Now that's what I consider to be an interesting story.

And now, for something completely different...


1 comment:

Sol (Frederick) Badguy said...

Death in comic books = Staying in a hospital bed

Most of the time

My days under the Malibu Sun!

Way back in the early '90s I was writing for, well, virtually every comicbook magazine under the sun. As if that wasn't enough, I wa...