Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Deja vu all over again

I realize that I’m coming late to this party, but I recently came across this issue of Powers from 2003. In this story (written by Brian Michael Bendis) a supervillain gathers other super criminals together to form a criminal cartel to protect themselves from the heroes and to bring the fight to the superheroes and to their families.

In New Avengers #s 32–37, in a story arc entitled The Trust written by Brian Michael Bendis and published by Marvel in 2007, the semi-mystical crook named The Hood organizes the supervillians in New York City into a crime cartel to stand strong against the superheroes. A review of that storyline begins here on SpiderFan. To be brief, The Hood uses his supernatural powers to not only assist, and head up, but to protect and rescue his “Crime Inc.” group as he brings the fight to the superheroes and their family.

While I didn’t read the entirety of the Powers storyline, I did read the whole Marvel storyline when it appeared in New Avengers. As a story arc this was a very engaging and really held me throughout its run. It wasn’t until after I had read the New Avengers Storyline that I discover and read the Powers storyline. To be sure, I only read one issue in what has to be a multi-issue story arc, but it obviously the prototype for the Marvel storyline that ran in New Avengers. I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen this before. Virtually the same storyline written in two separated comics for two different companies.

Now I really want to go and find the rest of this story so I can how it played out with different characters.

2 comments:

Reggie White Jr. said...

I read about 6 issues of Powers a few years ago. Good book but they drop the F bomb like its going outta style.

Tommy said...

Interesting similarity there. *Adjusts monocle*

Non “Funny” Funnybooks on the Rise

We’ve been reading comics since around 1961. It is — as we’ve often said — our preferred form of entertainment. In fact, the guy we’ve been ...