Thursday, March 06, 2008

The Sky is Falling! The Sky is Falling!

Well, no, not really, but there are Pirates in the sky (Arrgh!)

What the heck am I talking about? Well Sky Pirates, of course. Sky Pirates began life as an entrant into DimeStore Productions Small Press Idol contest from 2007.

Sky Pirates is the brainchild of my buddy and fellow CAGer Everett Soares. Everett is the creator and writer of Sky Pirates which became a finalist in Small Press Idol and has since launched into its own series. From that endeavor, he managed a “zero issue” one-shot which lead to him being picked up by Matt Ryan’s Free Lunch Comics (Matt is another good buddy of mine, and is the artist of record for my own Wülf Girlz). Matt has contracted with Everett for a 5-book limited series.

I have acquired the first two issues (0 & 1), read them both, and let me tell you how very cool they are. The series is something of a throwback to to ‘80s space opera with aliens and anthropomorphic characters intermingled with humans, along with lighter-than-air ships and sword fighting and blasters. I’m like a kid in a candy shop reading this. It is pure, unadulterated fun, complete with a breezy script, clear, clean, crisp art, sexy babes, and a straight-forward story that is simple to follow yet, compelling to read.

After reading it you have to wonder why can’t the pros at the big comic publishing houses tell stories like this?

Anyways, it is great stuff, you should all run right out and buy yourselves a copy.

1 comment:

Tommy said...

Hellz yeah at being a sky pirate.

If this series is about pirates in airships, that's awesome!

A video game called Skies of Arcadia (I played the slight upgrade port version on Gamecube) has you being a sky pirate with civilization being high in the air.

Other than that, the closest I get to flying around in an airship is via the Final Fantasy games. The 12th in the series might also have sky pirates, but I will have to play more to confirm that.

I have 40+ games to play and I keep stockpiling more. @_@

My days under the Malibu Sun!

Way back in the early '90s I was writing for, well, virtually every comicbook magazine under the sun. As if that wasn't enough, I wa...