Friday, June 26, 2009

Blast from the Past

So, last weekend I went up to Cape Cod to attend my Niece’s wedding (yeah, on Father’s Day Weekend), and while we were up there, we took part of one day to walk around downtown Falmouth (yeah, where the tourist shops are located), and there, nestled among all the “standard” tourist shops was this kitschy shop Blast from the Past. In fact it was this display (off to the left) that first attracted my attention to the shop. Then (of course) it was the sign in the window that said “Comics sold here” that finally pulled me in.

Well, I went inside and began chatting with the gal who was working there, and, well, in short order she introduced me to her husband (at least I think they were married), who had worked in comics back in the ‘80s & ‘90s. His name is Kevin Juaire, and well, it turned out that we knew some of the same people.

Needless to say, I couldn’t leave the shop without buying something, so I picked up a pack of Marvel cards (packed with a figurine of Spidey), a couple of plastic eggs of toys from his “gum” machines out front, a miniature tin Spidey lunch box, and a copy of the new Love & Rockets compilation (I had acquired the Free Comicbook Day version of the book back in May, and recalled how much I loved L&R.

So, as much as I did enjoy going to my niece’s wedding (on Father’s Day) being able to visit Kevin’s shop and chat with him about our glory days in comics, really helped the weekend out. (Not that I need to find comics wherever I go, but, well you know.)

So, anyway, between the cards, toys, key chains, and comicbook graphic album (and just being able to walk around Kevin’s wicked-cool shop, soaking in all of the very neat stuff he has on display), the weekend was fun...oh yeah, my niece’s wedding was pretty much fun as well (there was alcohol and family involved — which of course required more alcohol).

When I get to reading the L&R book, I’ll post about that as well. In the mean time, if you ever find yourself in Falmouth, check out Blast from the Past. Heck, even if you are not in Falmouth, you can visit Kevin’s web shop and get a pretty decent idea of how very cool his retro shop is in person.

No comments:

My days under the Malibu Sun!

Way back in the early '90s I was writing for, well, virtually every comicbook magazine under the sun. As if that wasn't enough, I wa...