Thursday, May 14, 2009

Free comics and other stuff worth reading.

So, I’m working my way through some of the Free comics I picked up on FCBD and I got to The Green Lantern comic (In Blackest Night) which I’ve already discussed. There have been some others, but what I want to talk about now is The Savage Dragon #148.

Now, I don’t normally read Savage Dragon, and this issue was very cool, in that it gave a four-page recap of the first 147 issues which was quite interesting. I have to say, after reading Spider-man for some 45 years, I honestly think that more things have happened to Savage Dragon in 148 issues than have happened to Spidey in close to 600 (of just him main title).

Still, I have some observations of what is going on in this book. I understand the need for action, but in every single panel, everyone seems to be moving, jumping, and swinging through the city frantically on the lookout for the bad guys. I truly understand the need for action, but it was a bit disconcerting that everything was constantly posed. I liked the introduction of the Golden Age Daredevil, although I wonder how Eric Larson was able to acquire the rights.

Plus all the actions and motivations seemed to lie on the surface of the characters. I honestly don’t feel that I got below the introduction phase of the characters. I’m not saying that I didn’t like it, I’m saying that the issue looked like a retro-fitted Golden Age tale drawn by Jack Kirby himself.

This is why I love FCBD, because I get to see stuff that I wouldn’t ordinarillary read. More as I get to them.

On another front, I also picked up some back issues of Amazing Spider-Man that I’ve been missing. Now, I’m missing only three of issues of Vol. #1 (all in the high 400s), and 17 from the second volume (all below #34). I’m throwing a party when I finally close the gap!

No comments:

My days under the Malibu Sun!

Way back in the early '90s I was writing for, well, virtually every comicbook magazine under the sun. As if that wasn't enough, I wa...