Thursday, April 02, 2009

More Marvels worth reading...

If you are like me (and there is more of a possibility that you are so Not like me more so than that you are possibly like me, but that’s just what my wife and kids say).

Anywho, I’ve been reading Spidey since the dawn of the Silver age, and (like the good Heroist that I am) have have disliked the Green Goblin (all of ’em) just like I was supposed to dislike them. However, the other day when I read Dark Avengers #3 (a series I had vowed to hate), a funny thing happened. I got sympathy for the Green Goblin.

Yeah, you read that right. I began to see Norman Osborn's view.

Sure he is still a lying, thieving, murdering, scumbag, but somehow, over the course of the Brian Michael Bendis story, I began to understand a little of what it might be like to be Norman Osborn. I don’t think that I have ever read such an insightful look into to this monstrous character. It almost made him appear to be human.

If you want to read a story that will challenge everything you think about a character, then you owe it to yourself to read this. I kid you not.

Then, if you think that the Dark Avenger story was a random hit by Bendis, well I have to tell you that simply isn’t true. Yea. Bendis can write (true, I realize that much of the time it seem like he is phoning it in, but when he puts his mind to it, he can truly make a story sing). Just take New Avengers #50. I think that with this issue the series has returned to the hint of glory it that it appeared to have back when it started.

This issue has the New Avengers going up against the Hood’s criminal army, as directed by Osborn, and they do an amazing take-down on those yabos. You know how when you read most comics, you never really believe that the bad guys will win because, well the good guys always come out on top? You don’t get that feeling with this story. There is actually a point where you believe that the villains will be triumphant.

Are they? this one you are going to have to read to find out.

No comments:

Non “Funny” Funnybooks on the Rise

We’ve been reading comics since around 1961. It is — as we’ve often said — our preferred form of entertainment. In fact, the guy we’ve been ...