Friday, March 30, 2007

They tell me that Captain America is dead...

Still, according to this guy, Cap won’t stay that way for long, and here’s why.

1) In most cases, a comic book character only dies when it makes financial sense for him or her to do so.

2) In most cases, a comic book character only stays dead for as long as it makes financial sense for him or her to do so.

3) In most cases, a comic book character will come back to life when it makes financial sense for him or her to do so.

4)There’s not a tremendous amount of evidence to suggest the “death” of Captain America is any sort of exception to the above three rules. It is “most cases.”



He goes on for eight more reasons, but I truly think that he covers the most important, and certainly the most salient reasons above.

Growing up as a comicbook fan, I learned that you never believe in the death of a character until you see the body. These days, however, with the return of The original Green Goblin, Dr. Octopus, Bucky Barnes, Hawkeye, Superman, and Marvel Comics’ Captain Marv-Vel, all bets are off (Hell, I’ve even seen the still-dead Gwen Stacy wandering around the pages of X-Static presents Dead Girl), so I’m not buyin’ any company line, not yet.



You just watch, a year, maybe two, but certainly not as long as either Bucky or even Mar-Vel. Steve Rogers will be back, and no one is going to convince me otherwise.

No comments:

My days under the Malibu Sun!

Way back in the early '90s I was writing for, well, virtually every comicbook magazine under the sun. As if that wasn't enough, I wa...