Monday, February 13, 2012

Captain Canuck: The Movie

I kid you not! There is a Captain Canuck movie in the works that is due out in 2015. If you don’t know who Captain Canuck then you simply missed that golden era of his prosperity in the mid-’70s:
In May of 1975, Richard Comely, then 24, with a $7000 loan and operating as Comely Comix published the first issue of his Captain Canuck comic book series from Winnipeg, Manitoba. Much like Superman which was first published in 1938, Captain Canuck was an instant hit. To millions of Canadians he became “Canada’s own Superhero”.

Back then, it was the first non-Marvel comic that I got excited about in quite some time. I really got into this character and it looked like it was getting off to a very good run, but then, unfortunately, it simply disappeared in 1985.

The series did come back a couple of times, but by then it had all changed, and even though I was excited about the return of this hero, I wasn't as excited about it any more. Hopefully the film will generate more interest and we can all get that initial excitement back again.

We can only hope.

No comments:

My days under the Malibu Sun!

Way back in the early '90s I was writing for, well, virtually every comicbook magazine under the sun. As if that wasn't enough, I wa...