Thursday, November 04, 2010

“Disposable” comics



While I was at the NYCC last month (was it really last month?!?!) I managed to somehow score an impressive amount of freebie comics. While I still haven't worked my way through them all, I have been able to go through quite a few of them, and there are a couple of things that I've been able to determine.

1) My friends produce some truly impressive (Indie) comics.
2) Parody/spoof comics are not only highly disposable, but often seem to be very badly written.

Now, I don’t really want to run down other funnybook writers, but not only is comedy very subjective, but parody itself is really quite time sensitive, and reading some of the spoof comics that I’ve picked up, I have to say that I can only hope that they were perceived as funny when they originally appeared, but I can’t really see how that could be at all possible.

 This stuff is extremely delicate and I can’t help but to think that when these were written, the authors were entirely convinced that the work was funny, only it turns out to be funny to them, and hardly anyone else.

Sorry guys, but I tried to read this stuff, and simply couldn’t make it past the first couple of pages. Maybe if I had read it at the time it was originally written, I would have found it funnier, however I sincerely doubt it.


No comments:

My days under the Malibu Sun!

Way back in the early '90s I was writing for, well, virtually every comicbook magazine under the sun. As if that wasn't enough, I wa...