The U.S. Attorney described Handley in his sentencing brief in a way that could probably describe many manga fans. “His primary means of social interaction with others has not been involvement in the community, but has been playing online role-playing games,” the brief said of Handley. “Mr. Handley recognizes that these hobbies have been a compulsion, causing him to incur ‘significant debt from buying various Japanese art forms’ and ‘upgrading his computer system.’” The sentencing brief also described the results of a psychological exam of Handley.
The prosecution’s sentencing brief also listed the seven manga that were in the package intercepted by the postal inspector:
• Book 1) “unfinished school girl” (presented by TAMACHI YUKI) (LE Comics);
• Book 2) “I ! DOLL” (MAKAFUSIGI presents) (Seraphim Comics);
• Book 3) “for ESSENTIAL 3" (THE ANIMAL SEX ANTHOLOGY Vol.3) (Izumi Comics);
• Book 4) “NEKOGEN, Neighboring House Family” (MD Comics);
• Book 5) ISBN4-89465-172-6 (No English language title found) (Seraphim Comics);
• Book 6) ISBN4-89465-222-6 (No English language title found) (Seraphim Comics); and
• Book 7) ISBN4-89465-193-9 (No English language title found) (Seraphim Comics).
This is a serious travesty.